Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Serial First Daters

I remember when I was single, running into articles about "Serial First Daters".  These are people that continuously go on only one date with someone.  Maybe they are afraid of commitment.  Maybe the person they are on the date with is not interesting enough, not creating enough excitement for them.  Maybe they don't have the same interests or political/religious views.  The list and excuses go on and on.  In advertising, I have used the first date as a comparison many times. I want that first date.  I want to get my client on the radio so they can see the power of our reach.  Sometimes, however, I don't get a second date.  They "try" it for a short time and think it does not work.

I have said before that it is important to set expectations.  When I go to a client with a proposal, I have a certain time frame in mind for the message we have created.  Radio works best with consistency (more dates), frequency (dates often) and a great message (excitement, personality).  If any of those components are compromised, so is the success of the campaign. I prefer to "have a relationship" with my clients.  I am here to help them succeed.  A "first date" is not going to be enough for either of us.  It takes a solid investment from both of us.  When a true relationship is created, there is success!

No comments:

Post a Comment